Forums » Music Production

How do you get your ideas and inspiration to write a new song?

• July 8, 2013 9:38 PM EDT

How do you get your ideas and inspiration to write a new song? Do you start with the melody? A riff? Chord structure?

• July 12, 2013 9:15 AM EDT
    Mi experiencia de composición involucra un poco de todo. En ocasiones inicio por una melodía que termino desarrollando y que me da toda una estructura armónica, otras veces es la armonía la que me sugiere la melodía y otras tantas es la estructura formal con la que inicio y que me lleva a pensar la textura, la armonía, la melodía e incluso el formato.
    • 57 posts
    July 12, 2013 10:53 AM EDT

For me it depends on the day and my mood... I get inspiration from different things that happen in my life, but when composing, I like to look at the story from many angles..

Example: End of a relationship.. One person can be completely destroyed and depressed, but that may lead to a new relationship where another person is super happy..  others look and question what happened... that may lead to 3 or 4 different melodies or lyrics, so at times I imagine different melodies for each of these situations.

I feel that it's important for me to be alone and not have any distractions. it is very hard to compose anything with interruptions.

This is a good subject. Thanks! I think it's a good experience for each sax player to learn to compose. After all, improvising is composing on the fly, so I believe that learning to compose would make you a better improviser as well.